Wednesday, October 29, 2014

This is Why...

Many people ask me why I am still "working" after retiring from LISD in 2009. The key word that makes the answer easy is "working".  You see, when you have a passion for something, it doesn't fall under the category of work.  I am still involved with education because I absolutely want to be....at least, today.  It is by choice and I can hang it up whenever I am ready.  Once the passion goes away, I will quit, which I should.
Since joining the faculty as an adjunct instructor at UNT in 2009, an estimated 188 future teachers have crossed my path.  I have watched some of them more closely than others...some I haven't seen since they graduated.  Yet, all of them made me a better teacher and person.  I like to call them my "pups".  On Facebook I have had so many pup celebrations:  jobs, engagements, marriages, and babies! Some have become special friends and we will catch up at Starbucks now and then. Some have taken huge honors in their school districts, but their biggest honors have been the adoration of their students and the joys they are receiving as teachers.
I have been able to visit some of their classes, read to their students and sometimes, like today, simply hang out and talk to seven year olds. One of my favorite places to supervise is Cottonwood Creek Elementary in Coppell ISD.  The principal, Dr. Andra Penny, is a lady who I do call my friend, and we have had some great times working together.  This school is an amazing place to be. There is always something going on, the faculty is over the top great, and the kids are a hoot.
 Right now I have some of my pups doing their student teaching there.  I am supervising three of them.  I also have three pups who actually now have jobs there.  Lucky them and lucky CCE!  So, as you can guess, it is an absolute joy and thrill for me to go to this school on any given day to see the fruits of my labor, as little as it was.
Today, I supervised two of my three pups.  One of them (see attached picture) is actually going to finish the rest of her student teaching in Spain, so today was our last teacher/supervisor/student time together.  She presented me with this beautiful bouquet of flowers and a handwritten note that I will always treasure. Wow.  I was really touched.  She then proceeded to blow me out of the water with her final observation.  I will miss her but she has promised to stay in touch.  Personally, I think UNT should be sending me to Spain to finish my supervision!!!
I had some time between observations and went to one of my favorite places:  Ms. Stutes second grade class.  There's just nothing like spending time with seven year olds.  They are so excited about life and learning.  And this particular class loves their teacher! I decided to go hang out in the reading area (comfy couch was calling my name).  Soon I was joined by a rotation of very verbal, inquisitive, excited about life seven year olds.  We talked about Halloween outfits, Junie B. Jones, Magic Tree House books, Poke-mon and writing stories!  I watched my pup teach these children with all of the natural qualities she possesses.  She was so affirming, so positive, so skilled....I could just burst with pride.  Her students are so happy, so excited about learning and so excited about life.  Here was a young lady who sat in my classroom and is now in a classroom of her own.
So, why am I still "working"?  I bet you have it figured out by now. The time will come when this part of my journey will end, but it just isn't quite now.  There are more pups to help enter the greatest profession in the world which is that of being a teacher.  I bet you can even remember one who changed your life.  I only hope some of my students will remember me in a good way...I know I tried my best.
R.

No comments:

Post a Comment