Friday, July 15, 2016

Magical Trip to Michigan

In June of this summer, Ron and I took one of our most favorite trips together to Montague, Michigan.  We went there so we could experience the Third Coast Trombone Retreat of which my son, John, is a co-founder along with his friend, Nick Schwartz.  Neither of us had ever been to Michigan and I can say that personally I didn't have a clue as to how beautiful this place was going to be.  It was not only the perfect weather, but the charm of this area (Montague and Whitehall) and the ultimate warmth of the people we met while there.  As John's mother, I have no words to express my pride in him as I watched the day to day activities of the trombone retreat.  The staff that came together, along with other guests artists were incredible.  Listening to their wisdom about their craft and then listening to them play was such a joy.  The participants were a group of very fine young people who wanted to learn to be better musicians.  I truly believe that this occurred during this week.  I will use the phrase, "A picture is worth a thousand words" as I become brief with my own words as I caption the pictures to follow.  They each hold a very special memory until we can go back again.
Part of the channel before it pours out into Lake Michigan.

One of many pictures I took to capture the different textures of this beautiful place.


My "feet" were on the sandy beaches of Lake Michigan on this beautiful day.

That's Ron out in the distance as I caught the tracks in the sand.

One of the views from our room at The Weathervane Hotel.


Ron and I had an anniversary at a restaurant on White Lake.  This was at sunset.  It was stunning.

Same place, different direction.

Fifteen years and still counting.

One more quick peek before the sun goes down.

Cheers!  Happy 15 years!




The most beautiful children's bookstore I have ever seen in my life in Pentwater.

Standing here with the owner of Story Book Village.  Inside it looked like the one in the movie, "You've Got Mail."

Obviously a lighthouse but I will have to get back with you for the name!


Beach area surrounding the lighthouse.

Love this shot to show how majestic it really is.

I

John conducting a master class.

John, listening to the student play.

More...

I love the attention of the student as John talks.

We got to hear John perform two pieces.  He was accompanied by Daniela Candillari, who was an incredible pianist.

I love, love, love this picture.

A different day/view from our room.  Just look at those clouds.

Our home while we were there.

Farmer's Market in Muskegon.
Wish I could have gotten this pot on the airplane.



A band playing Sousa marches.

We stumbled into Luddington where they were attempting to break the Guinnes World Record for the longest ice cream sundae.

Ice cream would eventually be on these tables, reaching all the way up the street.




Jim Markey, Principal Bass Trombonist from the Boston Symphony.





Another favorite place.




I was so happy to catch this shot of the little girl playing in the sand.


It's just water to you, but absolute beauty to me!




Complete Lower Brass Section of the Detroit Symphony.




Fun at the Barn Party.

Jim and John!








We were not here for the final performance but I know it had to have been incredible for everybody.

Final performance in their new yellow t-shirts, directed by Daniela.

No comments:

Post a Comment