Thursday, June 12, 2014

Where I'm From

Where I’m From
          By Rosie Alexander

I am from ribbons in my hair, a sidewalk with cracks that took me to my best friend’s house, and also my daddy’s grocery store for popsicles.
I am from a world where I thought I was loved by all and where I never met a stranger.
I am from paper dolls, being the teacher for my regular dolls, and crowns made out of aluminum foil.
I am from an outdoor play space surrounded by bushes which consisted of many rooms all for me and my playmates.
I am from making mud pies, pictures I drew, and make believe stories.
I am from a scotch-taped ribbon on my head in the nursery to refusing to wear another ribbon at age nine.
I am from birthday parties in my own backyard and with cakes my mother baked herself.
 I am from a mother who taught piano lessons to generations, and a father who owned a grocery store that had been in the family for three generations.
I am from a mother who taught school when a degree was not required and years later received a Masters’ Degree the same year as I.
I am from a brother who left home to serve in the National Guard, left home to go to college, and left again to go to medical school.
I am from piano lessons from age three through college, no music degree, and five personal recorded piano CDs.
I am from wanting to be a teacher since childhood, teaching elementary students for thirty eights years, to now teaching student teachers how to teach language arts.
I am from a passion for college students and the fun of establishing Starbucks offices all over the world to read their assignments and write back comments.
I am from a flaming desire to continue to teach, to learn more, and to make a positive impact toward every student I teach.
I am from marriage to divorce, from single parenting to an empty nest, from singleness to marrying again thirteen years ago.
I am from the greatest joy of being the mother of two sons to continued pride in all they do.
I am from the amazing experiencing of seeing my son marry the girl of his dreams.
I am from having no hair on my head, to curly hair that is sometimes out of control.
I am from the darkest place of illness to the brightest light of the gift of each day.
I am from the love of travel.
I am from a faith in God from whom I draw my daily strength.
I am from the joy I receive from having girlfriends and the joy I hope they receive from me.
I am from asking myself, “Where are my feet?” to seeking out new adventures to be from.

***I first wrote this poem three years ago and recently revised it.  I absolutely love to use it in my classes.






1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We are missing you. Hope everything is okay. Love your poem!

Post a Comment