Monday, June 16, 2014

My Mind Is Mush!

Wow and wow.  Today I began the North Star Writing Project a week late due to a death in my family and then Ron's stroke.  Let me begin by saying there is nothing I love more than getting to meet new people and learning more about being a good instructor. This is a fantastic group of teachers!

 All kinds of thoughts are swimming through my head.  I do have lots and lots of reading to do.  I have a personal piece of writing to complete by tomorrow, plus begin preparing for my teacher demonstration, book group, and final assignment.  I know this sounds crazy but while I am pretty overwhelmed, I am estactically happy to be involved in this group.  I did feel a little like a dinosaur at times today when I listened to conversations about dating, having babies, raising kids and first year teaching.  But, then I did realize that I have the T-shirt for those fabulous experiences and now have the joy to share in the conversations of those who are having them now and in the days to come.  That is one reason I love teaching at UNT.  There I am helping prepare teachers.  At this institute, I get to see the freshness and energy of what is happening out there now.

With age does come years of priceless experience and so I do feel like I will be able to make a contribution.  My passion for teaching has grown every year since I began years ago, and until that passion goes away, I want to continue to be better and better at what I do with my students at UNT.

Marla, Taylor, Carol.....if you are reading this, I cannot thank you enough for your help today and your patience with helping me to get back on the ole horse and go!

Okay, I have things to do!
R.

2 comments:

Carol Wickstrom said...

I am reading this because I was wondering how you are doing. And now I see you are treading water --- but you are not drowning. That is a good place to be. I think that you will see all that you have to give this group. Like today --- you had the powerpoint to share about 6 traits. I knew that you would be the expert in the room about this.
Although you may think about yourself as a dinosaur, I see you as a model. You model for the new teachers what it means to be dedicated to the profession. So glad that you could be here!

Anonymous said...

Ditto. I hope to be as enthusiastic and full of wonder at learning new things after teaching for as many years as you have. You are a model to me of a committed teacher who loves children and loves what she does. I only hope I can do the same.

Post a Comment