Thursday, August 28, 2014

Thankful

 I make it a practice to be thankful each day for all I have, for all the people I know, and especially for my family.  However, today was a special day where my health was defined by the results of a CT scan.  I have now been what people label a "cancer survivor" since May, 2010.  Yep, that's over four years.  Four years full of scans to affirm that "Bozo, the tumor" is still gone.  Only those who have had to have scans can know the fear and anxiety you go through the week of dread before the scan, the actual experience of the scan, and the hardest part, those hours after the scan where you are waiting for the results.  Your mind races to places where it should not go and it is not a fun time.  Fortunately, at 4 p.m. today, the voice on the other end of the phone said, "They're good", when I called to ask about my results.  It is almost 11 p.m. and I am still not completely back down to the emotional ground from the anxious weeks to the sound of those beautiful two words.  One more scan in six or seven months and I will be dismissed as a patient.  I am thankful.  But, more importantly, I am aware and hope to make others aware of the "world" of those who experience the journey of cancer.  If you know someone who is on this journey, be there for them.  This is not a journey to take alone.  They need to hear your voice, see your face, laugh with you, feel your love, and see your hope and encouragement.  Never underestimate the power of your words.  Is there someone you might want to call tomorrow?
R.

No comments:

Post a Comment