Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Writing on a front porch in Virginia

I gave this post that title because simply being on a front porch to write is quite a gift for me.  If I were in Texas, I would not be sitting outside due to the humidity and heat.  This morning is very cool, clear, and the only noises I hear are of the birds communicating with each other and the faint sound of a lawn mower down the road.
It is so amazing how the mind works.  I know that I fill mine with so many details, plans, concerns, and sometimes needless worry.  I keep clutter up to a maximum.  But, when you come to a porch like this where you are surrounded by beautiful flowers, green grass, and the view of the bay through the pine trees, you simply must stop, take a breath, and think about what is really important.  Now, I am not saying that I cannot appreciate my own home and its surroundings, but everything here is more "natural" and tends to slow down the heartbeat and challenges the mind.  Sometimes when things are too quiet, my mind can tend to go places it shouldn't go...too much to think about as some might say.  That is when I have to practice what I preach and ask myself:  "Where are your feet, Rosie?"  My feet are not in my past, and they have not reached next week.  My feet are right here on this porch.  So, as hard as it can sometimes be, I will try to just "be" right here, taking deep breaths, looking as far and as long as I can at this beautiful display of nature, and declutter my mind of things I can do nothing about and focus to improve the things I can.  The main problem is that a little hummingbird keeps wanting to show off his tricks, and the sound of the bay keeps telling me that its time to go back to my swing and continue reading my book.
Do I dare ask:  Where are your feet right now?  Is your mind and heart aligned with them?  Not always easy, but worth a try.

R                                        

No comments:

Post a Comment