Saturday, September 13, 2014

A Morning Mom Memory

This morning my feet were on the Highland Village trail, enjoying this fabulous cool weather.  I loved that I had to go back inside the house to get a light jacket.  I always begin my walk by taking a left on my street to the water tower where I enter the Highland Village trail.  My route is to the City Hall and then back home.
I had a wonderful experience this morning.  I looked over to my left as I walked and noticed all of the little teams beginning to gather for their morning soccer game.  I could not resist sitting down on a park bench to watch them play for awhile.  A myriad of memories almost swept me away.  I was remembering when Robert was on his first soccer team.  He was probably 4 or 5.  He would go down the field and wave to us up in the stands.  He was so happy and so proud and couldn't care less about what was going on with the game.  Sometimes he and a friend would even stay at the opposite end of the field to observe something in the grass.  Priceless.
I can't remember John's first team but we were living in Irving.  Because he was so tall, the referee at the first game made the coach show John's birth certificate to prove he was only 5.  I do remember his team when we came back to Lewisville.  John was a member of the Hot Tamales.  He played with them several years from where his soccer shorts were almost to his ankles to when they became the perfect length.  As a young player, John used to like to wait at the goal and when the game came back up the field, just kick it in and get the point!
With both boys, there were always uniforms to wash, shoes to buy, practices, and games.  Some times one would have a game on one field, and the other on another.  There were team parties and trophies.  I honestly do not believe I missed a game, except for maybe one or two, and friends recorded them with their big heavy VCR recorders.
I loved being the mom of little boys... and that love has grown every year since, day by day.

No comments:

Post a Comment