Sunday, June 21, 2020

Father's Day 2020

Today is Father's Day 2020.  I decided to do some reflecting on my own father because I really have not done that enough and he deserves this time.  First of all, I never called or referenced him as my father, he was always my daddy.  I was a daddy's little girl and remained so until he died.  There was never a moment that I did not have his love, his support, his patience, his kindness and his wisdom.

My daddy grew up in the small town of Beebe, Arkansas, eventually raised his own family there and was living there when he died.  His father owned a grocery store and daddy probably worked there all during his teenage years.  After a couple of years of college, he came back home and eventually become a co-owner of the store with my uncle. He worked there six days a week, from 6 to 6, standing on his feet in the meat department.  We went on one vacation a year to Hot Springs, Arkansas, where he fished the whole week.  I spent many hours sitting in a boat with him quiet as a mouse so I wouldn't disturb the fish! Daddy never complained about his work.  I know that it brought him a lot of joy because of the relationships he built with his customers.  It was through this that daddy taught me the importance of a work ethic.  He showed me that work was something to be honored and that how you did your work often showed you the kind of person you were.

Daddy taught me the importance of honesty and that mistakes were nothing to be ashamed of.  He modeled how you stand by someone when they make those mistakes and let them know you are always there for them, something I definitely passed on to my own sons. I used to think of this as an emotional safety net. This safety net was there to catch me when I was to fall, but also, there to celebrate my successes, my good decisions, and seeing some of my dreams come true.

My final time to talk to my daddy was a few months before he died.  He had taken John, who was then 7, and me to the airport in Little Rock.  After he gave John his good-bye dollar bill, we hugged our farewell.  I said, "I love you, Daddy, " and he said, "I love you, too!"  I never dreamed that would be the last words I would hear him say.  This experience taught me that goodbyes and kind words are always important when we leave someone. I try to keep this in mind every day.

I miss my daddy.  Oh, what I would give to feel one of those incredible hugs right now!  Instead, I will hold thoughts of him close to my heart on this Father's Day and those that I have to come.



No comments:

Post a Comment