Sunday, June 21, 2020

Somewhere Out There but exactly Where Is That?

During this pandemic I have been making video recordings and posting them on Facebook.  This all began rather as an accident.  I had made an initial video for my church that I couldn't get to travel for its website, so I went ahead and posted it myself on Facebook "just for fun"!  The response was incredible.  So, since I was also looking for something beneficial to do during this time at home, and since I was seeing from comments how meaningful my playing was to others who were at home, I continued recording.

I recorded almost daily, at first, but after awhile decided to slow down a bit.  Now I am posting once a week, usually on Sunday mornings.  It is amazing how my posts have sometimes had over 1,000 views.  The comments have been so touching as to how my music has made them feel either through triggering a memory, or helping them through a difficult moment where they needed a little musical boost.

As you can imagine, people started making requests.  Sometimes I knew the music and occasionally there was a song that I did not know.  I decided to try not to get into too many "personal dedications" because I certainly didn't want to hurt anyone's feelings by leaving them out.  However, there were certain songs that I played that just had to be personally shared because of the memory or the situation that it had for me and that person. Recently I lost three very special people in my life.  I played a song for each that connected my soul to theirs in tribute. 
This past week I played a special request for my friend, Debbie.  She asked me to play Somewhere, Out There.  It brought back memories of when our kids were in fifth grade.  We learned to sign that song when we went to Camp Classen and continued to sign it throughout the rest of the year. I had a lot of students, who are now adults, to post on Face Book that they still remember how to sign it.

The title of that song has really given me cause to reflect this week on the three whom I have lost.  Believers rest in their faith that they are in heaven with God.  I follow that belief but at the same time my humanity and small little brain still wonders just where is "Out There"? Where in the world is it?

These are just thoughts I am pondering.....

R.

No comments:

Post a Comment