Saturday, February 20, 2021

Struggling for Words

 For the past two or three days I have had this driving urge to write.  However,  when I tried, nothing would come out of my head to type. I know that with writing that one should just start putting words in motion and then they will come.  So that is what I have just done with these first sentences and we shall see where it goes from here.

When I heard about the upcoming weather, I prepared.  I went to the grocery store and got what I thought we would need.  Our freezer was already substantially adequate with food so I added milk, eggs, fresh vegetables, and, of course, a frozen pizza.  I also filled my car up with gas because I knew I would be needing to make sure it would start each day and run for awhile.


 So, we were basically ready.

The first snow actually came while we were asleep on Sunday night.  It was beautiful the next day but I was really wanting to see the snow "fall" if you will.  But, strangely, I never really saw much.  The next wave of snow came again, and guess what,  while we were asleep.  I think it was at this point that the fear of losing power and water set it.  So, Ron and I went down to bare basics.  Lights to a bare minimum and water dripping.   The thermostat stayed on 67 and we layered.  That was actually the sum of our discomfort, other than the constant anxiety of wondering if things would change at any time.  The bathtub upstairs didn't drain for a couple of days, but even it finally drained on its own.  

Honestly, as the news got worse, I started feeling a sense of guilt.  My heart was breaking for what people were dealing with...freezing temperatures in their homes due to no power, frozen pipes, lack of food, no gas, and then, not only no water, but when it was available, some had to boil it.  And, yet, our lights were on, our house was warm, our pipes weren't frozen, our water was fine and we had food to eat.  Oh, yes, and I still had that full tank of gas.  Shaking my head.

At the same time, I can honestly say that I never was without a strong sense of gratitude.  I literally would start my day with thanksgiving when I knew the power was still on, and would go from room to room saying, "Thank you, God."  With that said, I still fought with why others were suffering.  I hear that we were spared because we live so close to the Highland Village Police/Fire Department and are on their grid.  If that is the case, we were lucky. 

So, this morning, it seems that power is back on for most around our area.  But, the damage that some are dealing with must be so devastatingly hard to deal with.  I will continue to pray for them and also continue to donate.  The sun is out and that is certainly wonderful.  In a couple of days it will be in the high 60s or 70s. Back to normal?  Oh, but, then I remember!  We are in a pandemic and there is another shot in my future...and masks, socially distancing, remote teaching, no gathering with friends, no travel, nowhere to go...

And then I just try to breathe.....

R.

No comments:

Post a Comment