Thursday, June 5, 2014

This Is Why....

It is early Thursday morning and I am waiting in my office at UNT to go downstairs to sub for a friend.  I am really looking forward to doing this because it keeps me "fresh" and I am going to be teaching this same course during the second summer term.
When I walked into my office, there sitting on my desk was a small package with a card.  It was from one of my students who I had taught luckily for the last two semesters.  Her words were so affirming and just what I needed to hear.  Even college instructors need affirmation every now and then.  Especially this one who is teaching by choice.  After all, I supposedly retired in 2009 for about six weeks!  Anyway, this was a great beginning to my morning.  It reminded me why I am teaching still and not doing something else that looks more like someone who is "retired".  That word simply doesn't fit for me right now.
 Okay,  I am about to go to class and will finish this post when I get back.
Well, I am back!  One of the many things I love about teaching is how it absolutely energizes me every time I meet with a class of students.  These were students I could not call by name, but we had a common bond in that we all wanted to be educators.  It is so great to see the passion in their eyes, even though some of those eyes closed every now and then because of the early morning class time. They were a great group and I had so much fun.  I am so blessed to have my job here.  I am not sure how long I can teach due to the drop in enrollment.  I am simply enjoying every moment that they let me stay. :)
I have been reading academically for the last three or four days to help me prepare for a writing workshop that I am going to take next week.  I decided last night that I need to put these books away until Monday, so I am going to do something very mundane and try to organize my picture book library here in my office.  This is going to be a challenge but it requires little thinking on my part and will be of great benefit once I start my class in the fall. I am going to try to attach a "before" picture and hopefully an "after" picture later today. :)

Yes, it definitely needs some help!
R.
Much neater and organized into text sets!

No comments:

Post a Comment