Friday, July 25, 2014

Looking for future brides!

This afternoon I was sitting in one of my Starbucks offices grading papers when I couldn't help but overhear a conversation going on at the counter.  It was between a gentlemen, who I now know was a minister, and a young couple.  They were tying up the details of their upcoming wedding in October.  I must admit that even though I was finished grading, that I pretended to stay busy so I could listen to them.  I slowly pulled out my wedding business cards just in case I might have heard them say, "We just can't find a pianist anywhere!"

Unfortunately, this did not happen.  They wound up their conversation and went along their merry way.  It got me to thinking that I cannot remember the last time I played for a wedding.  I used to have a pretty steady flow of weddings at Chapelle Le Fluer, a wedding chapel in Flower Mound.  However, even before they were bought out, I was starting to be replaced by CD music.  The DJs began throwing the wedding music into their "package" which was less expensive than hiring me.  I never got my chance to say to these future brides that sometimes things like: late guests, flower girls who refuse to go down the aisle, pacing of the bridesmaids, grandmothers, and moms sometimes will not fit perfectly to a CD and that a "live piano player" can make all of those incidents smooth out beautifully with a few extra moments of music.  I am not saying that there haven't been weddings where the CD music worked perfectly fine, but I am saying that it is a gamble.

So, if you are reading this and you or someone you know is planning a wedding, please consider talking to me about taking over all of your musical concerns!  I have references and personal CDs of my own if you need them.

Thanks,
R.

girlietchr@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment